Sunday 2 March 2014

Amazing Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) over Cley next the Sea, Norfolk, Feb 2014

Wow it has been a mad few days following the amazing display of the Aurora Borealis, or Northern Lights as they are more commonly know, across the UK including Norfolk.

As you can see here and here I have photographed the aurora in Norfolk on a couple of occasions in the last two or three years.  As I rushed out of the house on Thursday evening I thought it was going to be another case of getting some half decent images but not really seeing much with the naked eye.  As we now know things turned out very different.

From my previous attempts I knew that I needed some foreground interest in the photos but I also wanted to give them a real sense of place.  So I headed to the one of the most iconic landmarks on the Norfolk coast, Cley Mill.

When I got there I could see a bright glow over the North Sea and having looked at this view on so many starry nights and seen the dark horizon I knew it was the aurora.  I fired off a quick test shot and although it showed a bit of green on the horizon it was nothing I hadn't captured before.  Within five minutes however the green glow intensified and a warm red colour started to appear above the green.  Another couple of shots on 60 sec exposure and I could see the wall of pinky red blush on the back of the camera and knew this was something special.

I ran inside to Cley Mill to alert the guests what was unfolding outside, however as it is having its sails replaced there were no paying guests inside, only the owner Julian.  Together over the next hour or so we looked out over the marshes and the North Sea with Cley Mill illuminated in the foreground and the aurora preforming its magic above us.

It was a truly unforgettable and magical experience.

Below are a few photos from the evening.

You can purchase prints of the photos from my PhotoShelter site
















1 comment:

  1. hi brian is there any chance I can get hold of a copy of one of these photos? I would like to print a photo off for my wife as a wedding anniversary present? I tried to look on photoshelter but I couldn't find it on there. many thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete